jocelyn

Jocelyn (The Reading World)

I love to read and can get very attached to my opinions, but recently I've been learning not to completely lose my head when people disagree with me, so feel safe to argue with me whenever you wish ;)

Ew

Four and a half years late, but I can't resist. (Actually, 2011 is way too recent IMO for this bullshit to even exist.)

A prime example of when the best course of action is to shut the hell up:

In an interview at the Royal Geographic Society on Tuesday about his career, Naipaul, who has been described as the "greatest living writer of English prose", was asked if he considered any woman writer his literary match. He replied: "I don't think so." Of Austen he said he "couldn't possibly share her sentimental ambitions, her sentimental sense of the world".

He felt that women writers were "quite different". He said: "I read a piece of writing and within a paragraph or two I know whether it is by a woman or not. I think [it is] unequal to me."

The author, who was born in Trinidad, said this was because of women's "sentimentality, the narrow view of the world". "And inevitably for a woman, she is not a complete master of a house, so that comes over in her writing too," he said.

Here is the fucking deal. If you can't empathize with half the goddamn population, then it is YOU who are narrow-minded and sentimental.

No woman writer is your literary match, eh? Maybe you're right! Because if I were a writer, I would be EMBARRASSED to think myself your equal--the equal of a pathetic narcissist like you.

Never read his books, but that is beside the point. I would laugh at this person's idiocy, but the truly sad thing is that he gets away with saying this stuff at all. Why is it that sexist people are allowed to stand on their pedestals and given the cultural authority to validate other people's experiences and opinions, is the part that's just so wrong.