jocelyn

Jocelyn (The Reading World)

I love to read and can get very attached to my opinions, but recently I've been learning not to completely lose my head when people disagree with me, so feel safe to argue with me whenever you wish ;)

Starting to remind me of the Bible

Three Kingdoms (Chinese Classics, 4 Volumes) - Luo Guanzhong, Moss Roberts

Specifically, the part when Zhuge Liang receives divine help against the poisonous unfamiliar environment (deadly lakes, animals etc.) of the rebellion he's trying to quell when he and his army are stuck in a dangerous pass. I know the connection is nonexistent, but it strongly evokes the Bible for me. The divine help comes from spirits and hermits rather than a God, but you're still getting that sense of justified higher authority every time Zhuge Liang wins a battle against the so-called disloyal barbarian, through what can only be called Deus Ex Machinas.

The depiction of "barbarians," by the way, is also soooooo cartoonish, much like many Chinese TV dramas actually. Still, I think this might be my favorite extended subplot yet. New ideas and themes being explored here, chiefly the concept of how to not only physically conquer the enemy but also win their loyalty.