jocelyn

Jocelyn (The Reading World)

I love to read and can get very attached to my opinions, but recently I've been learning not to completely lose my head when people disagree with me, so feel safe to argue with me whenever you wish ;)

Goodreads vs. Booklikes

I know I'm a little late, but I'm starting to recognize the virtues of Booklikes, as I was highly suspicious that it wouldn't match up to Goodreads when I joined BL two and a half years ago.

I think my favorite thing about it is the "follow" feature, as opposed to GR's friending and following. It's so much less...personal. No need to yell at people to go away, or write long profiles threatening to "defriend if you use animated gifs in your reviews, are under 18, read too many romance novels, write too many positive reviews, don't interact enough with me," etc. It's hard to friend-collect on BL, because that social incentive simply isn't there, and the knowledge that your followings' updates will show up in your feed allows for more selectiveness. And yet, it still allows for a very comfortable level of privacy that I really enjoy.

I honestly had no idea how much GR could actually get on my nerves until I started posting here on BL.

Plus, there is a refreshing lack of flame wars. GR had tons of those and I've yet to encounter any on BL, although there are probably a few as there always will be on any social networking site.

Also, I like how each post is given equal importance, as opposed to GR's tiny character limit for posting status updates. It's nice to use BL as a personal blogging space too where you can write whatever you want, at whatever length. And not having to use html is kind of cool.

At the same time, it doesn't feel overly social to the point where my head starts swimming. The layout of BL is refreshing and relaxing and genuinely feels like a safe space, but not an overcrowded one.

In terms of books/review features, I like the spoiler alert (compared to GR hiding the whole thing), the half stars, and not having to worry about flooding people's feeds every time you have to edit a typo. Database isn't quite as good as GR, but it looks to be getting there. I haven't really experimented with shelving yet, my shelves are currently a bit of a mess, but I might have a mind to sort things out someday if I'm feeling particularly patient.

Anyway, I guess I'm saying I really like it here, and I'm glad to have a second refuge to run to if GR gets too overwhelming. I haven't deleted my account on that site because I do have genuine affection for it, in addition to many friends I'm unwilling to let go of, but I'm glad to have found BL as well.

Cheers.